Updated: Aug 19
Summer has finally arrived! While that may mean opportunities to bask in the sunshine, it also means dedicating time and effort to ensuring that your home is properly cared for and maintained. It's essential to prioritize the maintenance tasks that will keep your home running smoothly and ensure a comfortable living environment all season long.
To help you stay on top of your home's needs, we've put together a comprehensive summer maintenance checklist that every homeowner should complete. By completing these essential tasks, you'll not only enhance the longevity and efficiency of your home's various systems, but also enjoy a more comfortable, worry-free home this summer.
1. Clean and Treat Drains Clogged drains can lead to various issues, including foul odours, slow drainage, and even water damage. Regularly cleaning and treating drains can prevent blockages caused by accumulated hair, grease, food particles, and soap scum. Regular maintenance helps maintain efficient drainage, reduces the risk of costly plumbing repairs and eliminate unpleasant odours.
2. Sanitize Washing Machine Your washing machine, while designed to clean your clothes, can also become a breeding ground for bacteria, mold, and mildew. Regular sanitization of your washing machine helps remove built-up detergent residue and eliminates unpleasant odours. By following the manufacturer's instructions and/or using specialized washing machine cleaners, you can ensure that your laundry comes out fresh and clean while extending the lifespan of the appliance.
3. Flush Hot Water Heater Over time, sediment and mineral deposits can accumulate in your hot water heater, affecting the quality of your water, the unit's efficiency and potentially leading to malfunctions. Flushing the hot water heater annually helps remove these deposits, ensuring optimal performance and prolonging its lifespan. A well-maintained hot water heater not only provides you with consistent hot water but also saves energy and reduces the risk of unexpected breakdowns.
4. Clean Range Hood The range hood plays a vital role in keeping your kitchen free from grease, smoke, and odours. Regular cleaning of your range hood filters and its inside and outside surfaces, prevents the buildup of grease and ensures proper ventilation. By maintaining a clean range hood, you promote healthier indoor air quality, reduce fire hazards, and improve the overall cleanliness of your kitchen.
5. Inspect Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Change Batteries Smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors are essential for protecting your family from potential dangers. Regularly inspecting and testing of these devices and changing their batteries at least once a year is crucial. This simple maintenance task ensures that these life-saving devices are in proper working condition, providing early warning signals in the event of a fire or CO leak.
6. Testing and Servicing Garage Door Your garage door is a great convenience, but it can be a significant safety hazard if not maintained. Performing regular tests and servicing on the garage door ensures that it opens and closes smoothly, without any misalignment or malfunctions. This maintenance task helps prevent accidents and protects your vehicles and belongings. Additionally, lubricating the moving parts of the garage door enhances its longevity.
By taking the time to prioritize your home’s needs and complete the essential maintenance required to keep it running smoothly this summer, you are not only safeguarding your greatest investment but also creating a more comfortable and inviting living space for you and your loved ones to enjoy all season long.
Wishing you a delightful summer filled with warmth and relaxation in your well maintained home!
The HomeBert Team
Let HomeBert help keep your home maintained this summer and all year round. Sign-up for our Essentials Plan (includes all items listed above) and say goodbye to the hassles that come with homeownership. www.homebert.com